Selecting the right fabric is crucial when designing custom print shirts, especially for businesses and organisations in Singapore. Your choice can greatly influence comfort, durability, and overall appearance. In this blog, we’ll explore various fabric options beyond the popular cotton, helping you make an informed decision for your custom shirt needs.
Cotton is synonymous with comfort, owing to its softness and excellent breathability. It’s a natural fibre that feels gentle against the skin, making it a go-to choice for everyday wear. However, cotton can shrink and wrinkle easily, and its colour may fade over time with frequent washing. Despite these drawbacks, its comfort and print-friendly nature make it a perennial favourite, especially for casual and promotional wear where comfort is key.
Dri-fit is a revolutionary microfibre, polyester fabric, engineered to wick moisture away from the body. This feature ensures that the wearer stays dry and comfortable during physical activities, making it a top choice for sports and outdoor events. Its lightweight and stretchy properties add to the comfort, while its resistance to shrinking and wrinkling makes it durable. However, its synthetic nature might not be as eco-friendly as natural fibres, a factor worth considering for environmentally conscious brands.
Fleece is synonymous with warmth, offering a soft, plush texture that’s ideal for cooler climates or relaxed settings. Its insulating properties trap heat, keeping wearers warm without the bulk of heavier fabrics. Fleece is also resistant to moisture, making it suitable for light outdoor activities. While it provides excellent warmth, fleece might not be the best choice for hot and humid conditions, and its bulkier nature can limit its use in formal settings.
Gaberdine stands out for its durability and resistance to wrinkles and stains, attributes that make it perfect for uniforms and formal wear. Its tightly woven structure offers a smooth, crisp appearance, maintaining a professional look throughout the day. While gaberdine is more robust than other fabrics, its rigidity can be less comfortable in hot and humid weather. This fabric is ideal for structured shirts that require a sharp, long-lasting impression.
The honeycomb fabric, recognised for its unique waffle-like appearance, strikes a balance between formality and casual elegance. Its texture not only adds visual interest but also enhances breathability and moisture absorption, making it a versatile choice for a variety of settings. Honeycomb fabric is durable and holds its shape well, though it may not be as soft as cotton. Its distinctive look makes it a stylish choice for businesses seeking to stand out.
Polyester is a synthetic fabric lauded for its strength, durability, and resistance to shrinking and wrinkling. It’s a versatile option that suits a wide range of needs, from casual to sportswear. Polyester’s ability to hold vibrant prints over time is a significant advantage for custom shirts. However, its less breathable nature compared to natural fabrics might be a drawback in Singapore’s humid climate.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Fabric
- Purpose and Functionality: Consider the primary use of the shirt. For instance, dri-fit for sports teams, gaberdine for formal staff uniforms, and fleece for casual, cooler settings.
- Climate and Comfort: In Singapore’s tropical climate, choose breathable fabrics like cotton or honeycomb for outdoor activities. For air-conditioned settings or cooler months, fleece could be ideal.
- Maintenance and Longevity: Factor in care requirements. Polyester and gaberdine are low-maintenance and durable, suitable for frequent use. Cotton, while comfortable, requires more care to maintain its look.
- Environmental Considerations: Think about the ecological impact. Natural fibres like cotton are biodegradable, whereas synthetic fabrics like polyester have a larger carbon footprint.
- Budget Constraints: Different fabrics come at varying price points. Balance cost with quality to find a fabric that meets your budgetary needs without compromising on the overall quality.
- Aesthetic and Print Quality: The fabric choice affects how well your design will be reproduced. Cotton and polyester are excellent for vibrant and detailed prints, while textured fabrics like honeycomb offer a unique aesthetic appeal.
Questions to Ask Yourself to Decide on the Fabric
- What is the primary use of the shirt? (e.g., corporate events, sports, casual wear)
- What are the conditions in which the shirt will be worn? (considering Singapore’s climate)
- How often will the shirt be worn and washed?
- Is there a need for a specific texture or appearance? (e.g., formal, casual, unique)
- Are there any specific wearer requirements? (e.g., skin sensitivities, comfort preferences)
- What is your budget for the shirts?
- How important is the print quality and the longevity of the design?
Choosing the right fabric for your custom print shirts involves careful consideration of various factors. By understanding the unique properties of each fabric and asking the right questions, you can make an informed choice that aligns with your specific needs and preferences.
Suggestions For Different Industries
External Sales Team
For an external sales team, who often meet clients and represents the company’s image, a fabric like dri-fit would be ideal. Its durability and wrinkle resistance align with the need to maintain a professional image throughout the day. Additionally, dri-fit stain resistance is beneficial for those constantly on the move, ensuring the team looks sleek and professional in all situations. Cotton is another option to consider too.
Food or Parcel Delivery Team
A delivery team requires a fabric that’s durable, comfortable, and can handle outdoor conditions. polyester, particularly dri-fit varieties, would be suitable due to its moisture-wicking properties and durability. This choice ensures that the team remains comfortable and dry, even in Singapore’s humid weather, while the robust nature of polyester can withstand the rigours of daily physical activity.
Company Shirt for Office Team
For an office setting, comfort and a neat appearance are key. Dri-fit and cotton fabric offers a unique blend of style, comfort, and breathability, making it a great choice for office wear. Its distinctive texture adds a touch of sophistication, while its breathable nature ensures comfort during long hours indoors, making it an excellent choice for day-to-day office wear.
Construction or Engineering Team
In industries like construction or engineering, where durability and safety are paramount, a sturdy fabric like dri-fit heavy-duty cotton would be appropriate. These materials can withstand the physical demands of the job while offering some level of comfort. Additionally, these fabrics can be easily customised with reflective strips or company logos for added safety and branding.
Event Organisers or Promotional Teams
For event organisers or promotional teams who require a vibrant and eye-catching appearance, brightly coloured polyester or dri-fit shirts are ideal. Polyester’s ability to hold vibrant prints and its wrinkle-resistant nature ensures the team stands out and maintains a professional look throughout events. Its quick-drying properties also make it suitable for outdoor events where the team might face varying weather conditions.
Selecting the right fabric is a balancing act between functionality, aesthetics, and practical considerations. By understanding the unique properties of each fabric, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your brand’s needs and values. Remember, the fabric you choose is a reflection of your brand’s image and ethos.
Get Your Free Quotation
Need help making an informed decision about what fabrics to choose for your custom shirts? Embark on your custom shirt printing journey with Custom Prints. Contact us for tailored advice and high-quality shirt printing in Singapore. Reach out to us to get a free quotation and design review of your custom print shirt today!